Frequent Answers & Questions
With your OKU laser cutter and engraver, you’ll be able to create a myriad of artworks. You’ll find the First Steps Guide in the Downloads section as well as in the box, along with the machine.
What kind of software do I need? Where can I get it?
To use your OKU Laser, you’ll need two different programs:
- A design program where you’ll create new projects (Inkscape) and
- A control program through which you’ll operate the machine and send finished projects to it (Repetier-Host).
You’ll find both programs in the Downloads section.
What does the package include?
OKU A3 is sent in a cardboard box measuring 60x50x20cm and weighing 4.5kg.
In the box you’ll find:
- 1x OKU A3 laser cutter and engraver by Nomad Technologies
- 1x USB cable
- 1x 12V DC power supply
- 1x Safety goggles
- Laser output power 2500mW
- Maximum work area length 420mm
- Maximum work area width 300mm
- Total length of the machine 540mm
- Total width of the machine 460mm
- Total height of the machine 160mm
What materials can OKU Laser cut? Engrave?
|SOLID WOOD||SOFT||3 MM||YES|
|SOFT PLYWOOD||3 MM||YES|
|MEDIUM-DENSITY FIBERBOARD (MDF)||2 MM||YES|
|PAPIER MACHE||3 MM||YES|
|COLORED EVA FOAM||10 MM||YES|
|WHITE EVA FOAM||4 MM||YES|
|METHACRYLATE||OPAQUE BLACK||3 MM||YES|
|OPAQUE RED||3 MM||YES|
|OPAQUE BLUE OR WHITE||NO||NO|
|OPAQUE ACETATE||NO RECOMENDADO||YES|
|SILICONE PHONE CASES||NO||YES|
|OTHER TYPES OF DARK FABRIC||YES||NO|
|UNGLAZED FIRED CERAMICS||NO||YES|
|MIRROR||NO||YES (BACK SIDE)|
IMPORTANT: Make sure that the material you’re cutting or engraving on doesn’t reflect light.
How to create a new design for OKU Laser?
To create a new design, use Inkscape. You can download it from the Downloads section. This program lets you create, import and edit your designs, and export them in a file type compatible with the machine.
More questions about OKU Laser
Can I use OKU Laser to engrave on metal? To cut it?
Our OKU laser machine can’t cut or engrave directly on metal workpieces. However, it can produce marks on some anodized metal surfaces and it also can be used with laser marking inks. This way, you can manage to engrave on metal.
What type of laser technology is used in OKU Laser?
There’re many types of laser technologies based on different kinds of lasers: CO² lasers, Nd:YAG lasers, fiber lasers and so on. Our machine has a semiconductor laser diode which produces blue light of 450nm.
Its main features are affordability, excellent durability and great versatility.
Do you offer spare lasers?
Diode lasers have a rather long lifespan of 8,000–10,000 hours as compared to CO² laser tubes’ 1,000–1,500 hours.
Once its lifespan is over, we recommend sending it to out Tech Support. There, we’ll evaluate its state and then replace it.
What’s the difference between diode and CO² lasers?
Laser diode (LD) technology is one of the latest inventions –it was developed throughout the 21st century–, in contrast with CO2 laser tubes, introduced around the ’60s and the ’70s. LD technology has numerous advantages:
- Diode lasers are more efficient, so using them to get the same result would require significantly less power than when working with CO² lasers.
- CO² laser’s invisible radiation is destructive for our eyes without us even noticing it. On the other hand, LD produce visible light (blue) and, therefore, are safer.
- The diodes’ light source takes up less space, so there’s no need of redirecting the beam with mirrors and complicated lens systems which distort the light beam and have to be cooled down. All this reduces costs and improves engraving precision and quality.
- LD lifespan ranges between 8,000 and 10,000 hours of use as opposed to 1,000–1,500 hours of lifespan of classic CO² laser tubes.
The most important disadvantage of this type of lasers is the power limitation they have. Nowadays, LD maximum output hovers at few watts as opposed to CO2 laser tubes’ hundreds of watts. Despite LD being more efficient, its maximum depth of cut is smaller and its working speed is a bit slower.